cdrom/cdr trouble or ide1 problem: BIG TROUBLE I think

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at chartermi.net
Mon May 27 13:30:01 EDT 2002

Well, thanks, Kerry, but this is a case of something that was working and
suddenly stopped. So it can't be a matter of wrong jumpering, since it's been
working fine (both of them have been0 for a good month. something could have
happened to the cable I would imagine, but it isn't a matter of it having been
put in wrong as it has been working fine and suddenly quit. as I said before,
the drawer will open on the cdr but not the cdrom. But when I try to mount
either one, I'm told "not a valid block device". I get "no such file or
directory: unable to open scsi driver" when I try cdrecord --scanbus.  also, if
I just tryrunning cdrecord anywy
, I get something about not being able to open "pg0" which must means it's
looking for a default type of cdr or something because it should be sg0 not pg0.
Nobody has opened this machine or changed cables to cause this failure to occur
and it happened verysuddenly.

Cheryl