problem with installing speakup

Thomas Ward slingshooter at valkyrie.net
Sun May 26 23:47:14 EDT 2002

Hi. Ok, I am a Mandrake user myself, and there are somethings you are going
to have to do here. Winzip will open tar.gz files, but you have to build a
new kernel, or get a binary one off of me to get speakup to work.
I'm currently making a binary rpm easy to install version of speakup for
Mandrake 8.1/8.2, but I am not done with that project.
If you like want this right away you'll have too build from source.  The
Mandrake 8.1 source doesn't patch well with speakup so you'll have to
download the kernel source from kernel.org, patch speakup source into it,
then configure, and build the new kernel.
Lastly, put an entry into your lilo.conf to reflect the new kernel, and the
kernel options you want.
If ythis sounds a bit much for you I've got three suggestions you can try.
A. put emacspeak on. B. Wait form my rpm package I am working on. C. Try
something like Red Hat 7.3 off of the Speakup site that has speakup already
built and configured.
You can discuss Mandrake off list with me at slingshooter at valkyrie.net if
you have more questions.