mailing lists and mail programs

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Fri May 24 03:33:58 EDT 2002

This is covered in the Pine FAQ.
Windows-1252 is some charset that is specific to windows.
the Pine developers don't want to supress the warning because it does
cause certain users problems with characters and they would rather warn
users of the bad character set than silently ignore it.
Windows-1252 is not blessed by ISO and is only a standard by virtue
that microsoft has put lots of it out there.
It can cause havock with mime filtering gateways, character set conversion, and
certain terminals.
you are both right, a way to silence the message and fixing the windows computers should _both_ be done.

You can make mutt refresh the screen better by setting
set help=no
in your .muttrc but you loose the top line of help.
Note that if you delete a message and the next
message has the same from or to line
on it the lines will not be spoken.
this is an ncurses optimization. If a program does not clear the screen
and writes the same text to the same location on the screen that allready contains that text
then ncurses will not rewrite the text onto the screen. This saves time
over serial lines since if the text is allready onscreen
it makes no sense to put the same text back in the same place unless
the colour has changed.
When I use mutt I usually drop back to the index and hit d rather than deleteing inside
a message. The reason for this is I don't allways want to read
the next message in the spool and I use the index to decide
which messages I want to read.
Many messsages get deleted without ever beeing opened.
I hit enter on the messages I want to read and I set my header weeding in such a way
that I cut out all the x- headers and all the list- headers.
I know that hitting q then d then numpad 8 to quit a message,
delete it and then read the current line for the next message under
the cursor is 3 keystrokes but hell,
I can touchtype at 50 words per minute so 3 keys  takes
about half a second if that.
The efficiency freaks are allways welcome to use mh <smile>
but seriously I preferr mutt over pine and elm because of the integrated
pgp support, the low noise screen display, the customizibility
and the complete manual.
I also like the way mutt marks new messages with N messages to you with t
messages directly to you with + and messages cced to you with c
so a new message carboncopied to you is nc. Pine does not do this.

Regards, Kerry.