keymap trouble

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Thu May 23 16:59:33 EDT 2002

Hi.  I'm trying to reconfigure the default keymap.  Just to play around
for testing I reassigned the 8, 5 and 2 keypad keys to read previous
line, current line, and next line respectively.  According to the codes
I should have done something like the following:

keycode  72 = 0x0d0b
keycode  76 = 0x0d0a
keycode  80 = 0x0d0c

However when I do loadkeys and the file with these assignments it does
not work.  What I get when the keypad 8 is pressed is speakup saying
parked, I can press it again to unpark.  When I press keypad-5 I hear
the whole screen read.  I didn't even bother with keypad-2.

What I don't understand is that in reading the speakupmap.map file it
shows for example that key code 72 = 0x0d08 however according to the
code list 0x0d08 is for say previous word.

What am I missing?  If it's something real obvious then I apologize.

PS I can type loadkeys /usr/src/linux/char/speakup/speakupmap.map to get
my functionality back.

--
If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can
go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way will promptly develop.