Get Out Of Jail Free!

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Thu May 23 08:47:45 EDT 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Kerry Hoath wrote:

> Be fare toby,
> bash accepts both del and control-h as backspace char,
> other applications do not. The vast majority of terminal packages
> do in fact send ^H or ^? when backspace is hit.
> The usual default is also an audible bell. I don't know why screen
> defaults to a visual one but the first thing I do when
> running anew screen installation is put vbell off
> and startup_message off in ~/screenrc
> If he is running jfw and eloquence and his so und card doesn't mix;
> (This is a new feature in wdm drivers or special drivers for win95 and
> is not supported with all cards) he won't hear the bell if
> eloquence talks at the same time.

Kerry,

I was talking from personal experience, this has happened to me.  Ok, the
versions of Linux I was using at the time were not the newest, but I think
it's important to make someone aware of such possible pitfalls.  If they
are not an issue, then great, that's fine, but it's happened to me before
and it took some sorting out, especially as I was a Linux newbie at the
time.  I think I actually got around it by hitting -c-h myself, which
strangely did work under certain circumstances, even when del or backspace
did not.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808