OLD DAYS

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Tue May 21 18:27:28 EDT 2002

If you can understand the Braille 'N Speak, you can understand the Echo.
At least to me, they sound very similar.

Yes, I remember BEX.  It had those cryptic commands like " $$c " to center
text.  You absolutely had to put the spaces around them or they wouldn't
work.  I used it with an embosser called an Ohtsuki.  Obviously made in
Japan.  It was a really slow embosser that could produce both Braille and
print, but neither was very sharp.  The Braille felt like the paper had
been stepped on, and everybody said that the print was very faint like it
needed a new ribbon even when it had a brand new one.  It wasn't a ribbon,
but a little rubber wheel and it had holes at the end of each page to
detect the end of the page.  Weird!

I even used a shell account from an Apple IIGS and that was my first
experience with Pine.  That's why I still use Pine even though some say
Mutt is better.  It's hard to change when you've been using Pine that
long.