free terminal emulator for windows - download and install

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Mon May 20 15:24:05 EDT 2002

Actually even better than speak all you can define a speak window
around the terminal screen of teraterm.

I use teratermand secure crt on a daily basis when I don'thave access to
my speakout to use Linux from my laptop.

Charles Crawford said the
following on Mon, May 20, 2002 at 01:45:11PM -0400:
> Window eyes uses the insert-a for speak all when you are in teraterm.  That
> program is not all that good from my experience.  I just wish there were a
> good dos telnet program that coudl run from the dos window..
>
> -- Charlie.
>
> At 12:54 PM 5/20/02 -0500, you wrote:
> >You mention jaws scripts. Are there window-eyes set files too? Or does it
> >work fine without them.
> >Greg

> >> I use a free windows terminal emulator called teraterm. I redefine the
> >jaws
> >> function sayNonHighlightedText to read everything appearing on the
> >screen,
> >> as long as its not a menu or in a dialog box (about 7 lines of code. Go
> >> http://barajas.mit.edu/teraterm/ to get the package. Just unzip it into a
> >> directory somewhere and click on ttermpro.exe for the standard version or
> >> ttssh.exe for the ssh version. Both report the application name is
> >> ttermpro.exe, so the jaws scripts will work regardless.
> >> The jaws scripts are in ttermpro.zip. Download this file, extract to your
> >> jaws scripts directory, and then either press enter on this script
> >filename
> >> from within windows explorer or press insert+f2 and choose script manager
> >> and open the file from there. Once you have the file, press control+s to
> >> save and compile it. Now you should be able to run teraterm and jaws
> >should
> >> speak correctly.
> >>
> >> The real problem is text editing. I use ex (vi without the full-screen
> >> stuff - basically ed ), but only crazy people like me probably want to go
> >> this way. I need to try a full screen editor and make it work via a
> >terminal
> >> emulator. VI might be a good choice, but the key bindings only make
> >sense if
> >> you know about ed. What's the other choices for full screen editing which
> >> are *not* emacs? I've heard of something called vim (is this correct)?
> >> There's pico and probably others. I need to try and make this work for
> >> myself too, because using ex is nice in some ways, but its more typing
> >than
> >> I really want to do with my RSI the way it is.
> >>
> >> I can help more with this if needed. Its not the greatest solution, but
> >it
> >> works very well for me. The terminal emulator is very very stable. Its
> >> worked on every version of windows I've tried it on with the same
> >results.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps someone -- Teddy especially. Please don't hesitate to
> >ask me
> >> for more help. I will be unavailable for the next week or so, but after
> >the
> >> 28th, I'll be able to answer e-mail again.
> >>
> >>                     Rich Caloggero
> >>                     MIT Adaptive Tech. for Info and Computing

If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can
go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way will promptly develop.
Raul A. Gallegos - http://www.asmodean.net