Nics and their relative value

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sun May 19 09:39:18 EDT 2002

You are perhapse using these cards in low usage conditions or do not use
multicast.
The rtl8139 a/b/c  is a low cost connectivity solution for 100 megabit networks.
It is a cheap chip and for that reason has appeared on many oem designs and cards.
It has a 64-slot multicast filter that takes the intermediate result after crc and uses
that as a hash into a table. It works well enough
but does not filter anywhere as well as the tulip or 3com designs.
Although the 8139 chips are a pci-bus master, I have noticed negative
performance situations where mp3s broke up when copying large amounts over
a network under Windows.
Upgrading drivers helped aleviate the problem but did not fix it and system performance
was far better with the 3com 3c9x cards in them.

Older machines can have problems with the rtl parts, especially
if they do not support apm correctly. The 8139 chip goes to sleep and
crashes the box.
Replace the card with an rtl8029 or a tulip or a 3com which doesn't insist on
doing PCI pwer management and the problem goes away.

On your home network copying a few files around at 10 megabit or under low load
the cards might seem fine, but don't put them in a file server
or where performance is critical.
Cards that cost $10-$20US are not and never will be as higher performing as cards
that cost $50-$100.
Regarding the ne2000; now there was a completely cheap and
nasty chip design that was adopted by manifacturers because it
was associated with novell. National Semiconductors
took the simplest ethernet chip design and put out the 8390 chip.
It was cheap, it worked and it was clonable. It wasn't high performance,
it wasn't bug free and it wasn't the fastest card ont he block
either.
If you intend low use or only a few hundred megs across your network per day,
a realtek or ne2000 might suit you fine; but for the serious
network card purchaser, get n intel card or tulip-based
design.
Don't get me started on tranceiver failure. At $1 I expect you can tolerate some of these though;
just get lots of cards.
Never forget:
Good, fast, cheap; pick two.

--