problems to make a new Kernel with speakup

Dietmar Segbert Dietmar.Segbert at t-online.de
Sun May 19 08:23:00 EDT 2002

Hello,

i use a ZIPSLACK (8.0), it is the ZIPSPEaK with kernel 2.2.20 with
speakup.
This version does not give  me access to all my hrdware and so i want to
make a new kernel.
I have made many kernels with the source of 2.4.18, 2.2.20 and at lest
with 2.2.19 sourcen. But i allways ecome the message "kernel panik".

i have done the following steps:

copied the speakup-1.00.tgz to /usr/src
copied linux-2.2.19.tar.gz to /usr/src
tar xzf speakup-1.00.tgz
tar xzf linux-2.2.19.tar.gz
cd speakup-1.00
./install
cd ..
cd linux
make mrproper
make oldconfig (becaus the 2.2.20 from zipspeak runs)
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /vmlinuz.new

after that i shutdown the system and created a new linux.bat for loadlin
to start linux with the new kernel.

But i bbecome everytime the message "kernel panik".

Does it give specials config options to start with loadlin (umsdos)?
I think i can load any modules after starting correctly, so that i become
sound and scsi-support for my scanner and cdwriter.
I have not a idea, what i do uncorrect.
I hope, that you can help me.
If there is another german user, i will be happy, if he contacts me vie
pm.

reguards.
Dietmar