xwindows

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Wed May 15 09:48:39 EDT 2002

hOn Wed, 15 May 2002, Steve Holmes wrote:

<snip>

> This all-in-one tutorial would have to address the differences among
> the popular distributions of Linux, how to use and configure several
> clients like mail for use, how to configure lynx since that seems to
> be the browser of choice, some basic sys admin needs such as getting
> PPP to work or configuring the network interface.  Gee did I miss
> anything?:) You can see quickly how this tutorial becomes a *HUGE*
> project.  I wonder how much time Jonathan has available for this; it
> might take six months:)  I don't know, might not take that long but it
> is a mammoth project indeed.

A lot of care would also have to be taken to avoid confusing the new user,
which could be done very easily.  I think it would also be necessary to
state at the beginning the steps involved, i.e. choose distro,
installation, otherwise there is a danger that a user will take one look
and come to the conclusion that there's loads to do, it sounds
complicated, and they won't bother.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808