temporary serial console

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Tue May 14 00:16:41 EDT 2002

You can put a getty on a serial port and set it to spawn
at runlevel 3 or similar, and then telinit 3 when you want getty
running on the serial port, and telinit 2 when you don't.
The serial console is selected at boot time. If you select serial console at boot
it remains in effect until you reboot since programs and gettys are likely
to have the console open and unless everything closes the console you can't change
it's device which is why it is a boot time selection.

Regards, Kerry.