xwindows

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Mon May 13 22:36:18 EDT 2002

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

> But a good idea would be something like Norton Commander for DOS which has a
> command line.
> If someone knows the command line parameters, they can use it, but if they
> don't know, they can choose from a lot of menus.
>
> A good idea would be a  kind of menus that can be easily changed without
> programming.
> For example, it would be nice to be able to go to the menu, choose the
> commands menu/shell submenu, then from there choose "Print HTTPD.conf file"
>
> This would be more simple than typing cat /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf for
> some users because they don't need to remember all that path.
> Of course, it was just an example, but there are a lot more complicated
> command lines.

The problem is, that to take your idea to its logical conclusion, you
would end up with say , a cdrecord menu, then a load of checkboxes for the
commandline options you wanted, then you might have to give some switches
a parameter, it'd just get too messy.

And anyway, if that's the kind of thing you want, there's linuxconf, bane
of my previous working life.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808