xwindows

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at home.ro
Mon May 13 21:04:08 EDT 2002

But a good idea would be something like Norton Commander for DOS which has a
command line.
If someone knows the command line parameters, they can use it, but if they
don't know, they can choose from a lot of menus.

A good idea would be a  kind of menus that can be easily changed without
programming.
For example, it would be nice to be able to go to the menu, choose the
commands menu/shell submenu, then from there choose "Print HTTPD.conf file"

This would be more simple than typing cat /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf for
some users because they don't need to remember all that path.
Of course, it was just an example, but there are a lot more complicated
command lines.

And that menuing system, should accept me to go to "Configure menu" submenu,
and there to be able to define other menus and submenus with the command
lines I want.
It should have a good "find files"  feature that has options  that can be
checked, or advanced options like Regular expressions.

This way, or the graphical interface, it is absolutely necessary for Linux
to beat Windows.

But yes, of course, somebody should make that program, but for free...
nobody  jumps.

I am a beginner in Linux, and reading the man pages is like reading  some
comments from a C or Perl code.
There is no real help in Linux like in Windows.
In my opinion, the help file is for those who don't know, for beginners, for
newbies.
The man pages  of Linux are kind of reference for advanced users who don't
remember well the command line parameters, etc.

That menuing program, if it is well done, and sold for a resonable fee (not
for free) would help many new Linux users.

Those new Linux users may want  to pay  for some nice programs that don't
cost as much as the Windows ones, and this way, the Linux community will
increase, and a lot of programmers will think to start learning programming
under Linux.

A system as Linux now, will remain only for advanced users, system
administrators, web space providers, and not for the large public.
The problem is that someone should start this for free, because, those Linux
advanced users won't pay for such a software.
They will use the command line  because they know how.

But making that software, or (for blind users)  making the graphical
interface accessible for us, will be profitable even they will start
creating it for free or for a very low cost.

Teddy,
orasnita at home.ro