Verizon DSL with RH 7.2-- Help?

Dave Hunt dave.hunt2 at verizon.net
Sat May 11 21:22:39 EDT 2002

Hello.

I recently got a DSL connection from Verizon.  It works well, using Windows
2000 and the Win Poet client.  My DSL modem is the Westell unit provided by
Verizon.  My Ethernet card is by 3com.  The card works correctly on
broadband networks which use dhcp (Linux and Windows, both).

The Linux side:

I downloaded the latest i386 rpm of rp-pppoe (a user-space PPPOE client from
Roaring Penguin).  My Redhat system shipped with a corrupted copy of this
package.  I replaced it with the new copy, (uninstalled the bad, and
installed the new with "rpm -Uvh).

Next, I ran the provided setup script.  It asks a few questions, and
modifies several configuration files.  The files got modified as I'd been
led to expect.  Using the Redhat setup tool, I turned off unnecessary
services, like dhcpd, httpd, for instance.  Just before rebooting, I moved
the file "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0" to my root directory,
so the Ethernet device wouldn't come up at boot time, with the "pump" dhcp
client.  Finally, I restarted.

Using the Rp-PPPOE, one is supposed to bring up the ADSL connection with
"ADSL-start".  When I do this, It tries to connect, and quits with a
"timeout" error.  What may I have missed?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Dave Hunt
Home tel:  617 923 2407

Office tel:  617 912 5238