Why does it need that much hard disk space?

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Sat May 11 00:36:19 EDT 2002

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Buddy Brannan wrote:

> Hi Toby,
>
> Wow...OK, so what is it? Does Speakup, or does GNU/Linux, attract
> hams? Seems we have a disproportionately large number of 'em on this
> list. (Yes, here we go again...but I just noticed the callsign in the
> Email address...)

As Ann has already said, we're tinkerers basically.

Actually, I have to thank the hobby for getting me into Linux back in
1995.  I joined the university radio club, where many of the members were
linux users, and we used to have the great Alan Cox as a member, anyone
who's analysed much kernel code, particularly on the networking side, will
know that name.  That meant that I had some great tutors.  The radio shack
was 160 feet above the ground on the roof of the engineering building, and
we had 2 linux boxes up there, the main server was a 386 DX20 with 2 170
mb hard disks, 8 mb ram, 14 mb swap, and it supported about a dozen users
for mail, http and loads of other stuff, as well as a packet radio node,
pop3, smtp and http servers, and loads of other things I didn't worry
about at the time.  Sometimes, I used to go up there with my lap top
running NCSA Telnet and connect using plip to that box, as the guys had
rebuilt the kernel to enable me to do it.  That machine was the only
accessible pc on the whole campus, oh yes, and after a while I was given a
key so I could go up there whenever I wanted.  Oh those were great times,
with our FT767GX and button vertical, what pile-ups!! *sigh*

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808