Why does it need that much hard disk space?

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Wed May 8 14:43:20 EDT 2002

Not at all.  I have installed a full slackware system even using
install options which put in software I don't ever need or want and
it's taken up 900 mb of space.  Also, my debian installs only take
up around 200 mb of space and that is with the compilers.  Without
those it would take up less room than that.

Linux basic system can run fine on 100 mb or less. it depends on what all
you want to do.

Cris Ali said the following
on Wed, May 08, 2002 at 02:16:02PM -0400:
> Hi Folks,
> I was surprised to learn that installing linux requires more than three gigs
> of hard disk space, 20 times more than windows98.  If i am to install it on
> my retired 90 mhz pentium, i have to buy a new hard disk.  This machine has
> two hard disks, one is 2.2 gigs, and the second is only 320 megs.  Is it
> possible to have a small installation of linux, at least to learn how to use
> this system?  Secondly, does anyone know a good place to buy inexpensive
> hard drives that would be competibile with old computers?
> Cheers,
> Cris Ali

If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can
go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way will promptly develop.
Raul A. Gallegos - http://www.asmodean.net