alsa settings: I'm really mad!

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Wed May 1 04:23:08 EDT 2002

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> Ok, has anybody ever had this happen, especially anybody using debian?
> Al my setting were just fine and I didn't change them. but just now I couldn't
> get my sound to work, even with using alsactl restore. Have to do everything
> over again; all my settings are gone.
> It has to be that something that upgraded in debian woody when I did my "apt-get
> update' and "apt-get upgrade" wiped my alsa or at least alsactl stuff out.
> this is ubelievable!
> Amixer and alsamixer still work and alsa apparently still gets loaded, but al my
> settings have to be redone!

Hmmm, I don't use Debian so don't know about this, but does this apdget
thing have an option that just tells you what it's going to do, rather
than doing it?  It's one of the things I like about the Slakware pkgtool,
there is a --warn option which tells you in full detail which
files/directories will be added/created/modified/overwritten/deleted etc.
Call me paranoid, but I really prefer this whenever possible, unless I'm
installing a lot of packages, for example the whole of X.

It's also why I've backed up my /etc/asound.conf, I can send it if you
want, you should then only have to change what you need.  Write to me
privately if this will help.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808