Urgent please help!

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sat Mar 30 19:43:36 EST 2002

Hi:

Linux does have a scandisk type program, it's called fsck and should run
automatically.

I'm going to assume you're using an ext2 filesystem.  Can't help you if
you're not, sorry, though others probably can.

I'm also going to assume the fsck failed and it asked you to enter the root
password for maintenance.  Do this and you'll enter single user mode.  Then
run fsck manually on the root device that it failed on. It's a good idea to
use the -y switch so that it doesn't prompt you for everything, this can be
tedious if you don't do this.  so if your root FS is /dev/hda1, type:

fsck -y /dev/hda1

After it fixes everything, exit single user mode and the machine should go
on to boot normally.

If this is not what happened, let us know what the error was in as much
detail as possible.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <gshang at uq.net.au>