gnu/linux distros, was: Re: flame wars?

Georgina Joyce gena at gena-j.net
Sat Mar 30 06:45:15 EST 2002

Hi

With respect you do.  Yes like with any distribution Debian attempt to put
the most popular programs on the first disk.  But it is a bit of a gamble
whether all the applications and utilities you want are on the first CD.  As
I've just had to reinstall and couldn't get my internet connection
configured, I had to use CD's.  I can't remember but it was readline and or
libncurses5-dev that it prompts for the third CD.  There was one occasion
when it wanted the second CD but I can't remember what that was for.  I'm
also sure that the installation of Emacs20 also required other CD's.  As I
said, if you haven't got a useable internet connection, you'll need all
three CD's.

I also come across messages on one of the many lists discussing the
necessity of all the disks which I thought the subject was something like
"You don't need the third disk" but after a couple of searches I can't find
it.

All the references are towards a set of CD's and there's not an entry in the
Debian CD FAQ supporting your claim.

Debian is about giving the user choice and the package comes on 3 CD's that
you will need unless from the first CD you can get up and running with an
internet connection to download the packages you require.

	http://www.debian.org/intro/about

Gena