alsa and sox questions

Gregory Nowak gnowak1 at uic.edu
Fri Mar 29 15:50:17 EST 2002

Right now, I'm using 0.90 beta 8, although I was using 0.90 beta 9 with the same results before I decided to see if down grading would help. I will of course upgrade to beta 11 when I have the time, since I now know how to find it. I'm including a script of how I envoke arecord, and what happens. I should also add that the same exact thing happens with aplay, although play works just fine, and so do the other sound programs I have on here such as trplayer. The card I'm using is a sblive if it makes a difference.

Script started on Fri Mar 29 14:47:02 2002
root at linserver:~# arecord test.wav
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:593:(snd_pcm_hw_open) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_PVERSION failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
arecord: main:446: audio open error: Inappropriate ioctl for device
root at linserver:~# cd /startup
root at linserver:/startup# aplay startup.au
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:593:(snd_pcm_hw_open) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_PVERSION failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
aplay: main:446: audio open error: Inappropriate ioctl for device
root at linserver:/startup# exit
Script done on Fri Mar 29 14:47:53 2002

Greg