new motherboard/CPU/memory

Pete persuric at ameritech.net
Thu Mar 28 00:24:27 EST 2002

  Hi
  I am sorry it took so long for me to get back to you!  Among sound card
trouble and getting the new mother board running I had an upgrade project on
another computer.  This mother board was a compromise.  Short and sweet.  It
has 1 floppy conecter, 4 33/66/100/133 ide channels (2 raid) and (2 non
raid), 2 ps2 ports, 6 usb ports, 2 serial ports, 1 parallel port, 6 pci
slots and 1agp slot.  I got the best ide controller I could find on a mother
board.  I would have liked an isa slot or 2 and usb 2.0 to be there.  This
is one of the few mother boards whith the ata udma 133 support on board.  It
was a deciding factor since I wanted it to support the new drives I got.
BTW, on the 10 gig and the 60 gig western digital hard drives the jumpers
are labeled as follows from right to left (when the power conecter is on the
right and the 40 pin connecter is on the left) CS is the first set of 2 pins
to the left of the power connecter, SL is the next set of 2 pins to the
left, then MA is next stil moving left.  There are 2 more sets of pins to
the left after the MA set.  the next set of two pins to the left of MA are
not labeled.  the last set of pins to the left of the unlabeled set of pins
are labeled whith a number letter combination.  I only mentioned this
because I recall some one was having trouble setting master setting on there
hard drive.  Well, back to the new board.  I don't know a lot about the
settings in bios etc yet Here is a spec sheet.

  Pete

  The model number is KR7A-133R
  AMD  Socket A ATX Based Mainboard
  PC1600/PC2100 DDR DRAM
  ATA 133 RAID 0,1,1/0
  SoftMenuTMIII  Technology

  Specifications:

  CPU

  Support AMD Athlon XP 1500+ to 2000+ or future Socket A Processors based
on 200/266 MHz
  (100MHz/133MHz Double Data Rate)

  Support AMD Athlon 700MHz to 1.4GHz or future Socket A Processors based on
200/266 MHz
  (100MHz/133MHz Double Data Rate)

  Support AMD Duron 600MHz to 1.2 GHz or future Socket A Processors based on
200 MHZ
  (100MHz Double Data Rate)

  Chipset

  VIA KT266A / VIA VT8233A
  Supports Ultra DMA 33/66/100/133 IDE protocol
  Supports Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI)
  Accelerated Graphics Port connector supports AGP 2X(3.3V)and 4X(1.5V) mode
(Sideband) device
  Supports200/266 MHz (100MHz/133MHz Double Data Rate)

  Memory Bus Settings

  Ultra DMA 133/ RAID High Point HPT372 IDE Controller
  Ultra DMA 133MB/sec data transfer rate
  RAID 0 (striping mode for boosting performance)
  RAID 1 (mirroring mode for data security)
  RAID 0 + 1(striping and mirroring)

  Memory
  Four 184-pin DIMM sockets support PC1600/PC2100 DDR SDRAM module
  Supports 6 banks up to 3GB DRAMs for unbuffered DDR/SDR modules
  Supports 8 banks up to 4GB DRAMs for registered DDR/SDR modules

  System BIOS
  SoftMenuTM III Technology  to set CPU parameters
  Supports Plug-and-Play (PNP)
  Supports Advanced Configuration Power Interface (ACPI)
  Supports  Desktop Management Interface (DMI)
  Write-Protect Anti-Virus function by AWARD BIOS

  Multi I/O Functions
  Floppy Port supports up to 2.88MB
  Two Channels of Bus Master IDE  Ports supporting up to four Ultra DMA
33/66/100/133
  Two Channels of Bus Master IDE  Ports supporting up to four Ultra DMA
33/66//100/133
  (RAID 0/1/10)
  One built-in Standard /EPP/ECP parallel port connector
  Two built-in 16550 fast UART compatible serial port connectors
  Built-in PS/2 Keyboard and PS/2 mouse port connectors
  On board USB header for two extra USB channels

  Miscellaneous
  ATX form factor
  1 AGP slot, 6 PCI slots
  Hardware monitoring - Including Fan speed, Voltages, System environment
temperature
  Built-in Wake on LAN header
  Built-in Wake on Ring header
  Built-in IrDA TX/RX  header

  USB 2.0 is not supported in the KG or KR series of motherboards.
  ABIT Computer Corp