mtu

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Tue Mar 26 06:46:57 EST 2002

I can't see why you'd want to do this on an ethernet
interface anyway since ethernet is tuned to handle mtu of 1500 and reducing it
is just going to increase wire overhead and do nothing more.
MTU discovery means that if something else has a lower mtu this will be communicated back
to the kernel and th e networking stack will take care of it.
Well just because I don't know why you want to do this doesn't mean it can't be done.
Once the route to the interface is in place you need to del the route and re-add it
with the mtu value so for example:
route del 192.168.1.0
route add -net 192.168.1.0 dev eth0 mtu 768
and I think the ip tools can do this too
try ip route help
and
ip nei help

Regards, Kerry.