alsa question

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Mon Mar 25 04:07:11 EST 2002

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> You cannot use cat to send audio files to devices. Instead use "play
> filename.au". You could use aplay too, but I still can't get aplay or
> arecord to work.

Hmmm, I do believe that it is suggested in the sound howto that you can
use cat to throw a .wav file at /dev/audio to test the sound card, and it
has worked for me, after all, you're just feeding it a stream of data.
Now an mp3 on the other hand...Just don't do it. *grin*

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808