help with dosemu; getting very frustrated

TALMAGE at SOMTEL.COM TALMAGE at SOMTEL.COM
Thu Mar 21 12:17:17 EST 2002

Hi,

I'm not sure what you have, or haven't, tried to get your serial port
working, but you should have a line similar to one of the following in your
/etc/inittab
file.  My examples are for RedHat, but other distributions should be similar.
In older RedHat versions, i.e. 5.2
S1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 DT9600 VT100
or in RedHat 7.2
S1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty ttyS1 DT9600 VT100

S1 is a label to  refer to the serial port, i.e. ttyS1 or in MS-DOS terms
com2.
2345 refer to the run levels effected.
In RedHat 7.2 I couldn't find getty and mingetty seems to be the default.
The ttyS1 indicates which serial port is concerned, and associated with the
S1 label.
The Dt9600 sets the port speed.
The VT100 is not necessary, but in my case indicates that a vt100 type
terminal is connected.

If you are going to have a terminal of some sort connected you will
probably need a
ttyS1
line at the end of your
/etc/securetty
file.

If you had to add any of the above lines try:
/sbin/init q
to have the system reread your inittab file.

You should probably verify the location of the files I've mentioned above
regardless of the distribution you are running.  They are: inittab,
securetty, getty or mingetty, and init.

Hope this helps and isn't just repetition of what you already know.

Dave