Speakeasy Web Site Is Broken

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon Mar 18 13:20:28 EST 2002

This morning I sent the following note to the Billing Department at
Speakeasy, with a CC to their CEO:

From: Janina Sajka <janina at afb.net>

What have you folks done with the Speakeasy web site? It seems there is no
longer any way for me to access it, and this a serious issue from my point
of view.

Ever since establishing my account I have used the online pages to pay my
bills, check for local dialup numbers, and perform other system tasks
related to maintaining my account with Speakeasy and to maintaining my
service from Speakeasy. Frankly, I have been praising Speakeasy to the
skies from the day my RADSL circuit became active--until today. You were
exemplary in that all your services, including the entire provisioning
process for my RADSL circuit,was fully accessible to me. When I say
"accessible," I mean that I, a blind woman, was fully able to use your
services with my technology. I did not require sighted assistance. You
were my example of outstanding compliance with Sec. 255 of the
Telecommunications Act of 1996--until now.

All of this has now changed. I sincerely hope you can fix what has been
broken expeditiously. Please be advised that I'm using very up to date
technology which perfectly renders web services which comply with the
consensus industry standards as published at http://www.w3.org/wai/. I am
running linux with lynx 2.8.5dev.7 (06 Jan 2002) ([1]development version),
which certainly supports the latest in TLS security. My SSL is also very
up to date. I don't believe I am at fault here. While I have not attempted
to obtain your pages to evaluate what you have done, my guess would be
some kind of javascript, or some similar, proprietary scripting.

Please advise me as soon as possible how you intend to resolve this
inequity. I would like to pay my bill, and I would like to continue using
your services, but you have radically changed your service for the worse
in making these changes. I sincerely believe this was unintentional, but
it cannot be left unresolved.

I wait to hear from you--credit card in hand.

Then, I get the following response. Grrrrrrr ...

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

Chair, Accessibility SIG