drivers for an old network card

Georgina gena at gena-j.net
Sat Mar 16 17:39:34 EST 2002

Hi

I did a search on google for "Etherlink 3 configuration linux" and got this
page:  Chances are that you have the necessary driver already.

   [RGROUP=r1836] [ns.gif?a00000+1+r1836] [logo.gif] [newlogo.gif]
   LhD Product Page

   Product: 3Com 3C509 Etherlink-3 ISA NIC
   Jump to: Description Drivers Resources Reports Rate this product

     Manufacturer: 3Com
            Model: 3C509
         Category: Network Interface Card
          Chipset: NULL
         Codename: NULL
             MSRP:
     Street Price: 0
     Dates Manuf.: 0000-00-00 to 0000-00-00
   Record History: created 1999-05-04. Last modified 2001-08-10

                                                          Product Ratings
                                                                Stability

                                                                  4.4 . .

                                                              Performance

                                                                  3.6 . .

                                                                    Value

                                                                  3.5 . .

                                                            Ease of Setup

                                                                  4.3 . .

                                                                  Overall

                                                                  4.0 . .

                                                       Rate this Product

   Product Spec: NULL
         Legend: What do these fields mean?

   Linux Drivers

   (Drivers suggested by search of driver database.) Suggest a driver for
   this product

   # Driver Description
   0 3c509.c : 3Com NIC driver This driver is for the 3Com EtherLinkIII
   series.

   Resources

   (Resources suggested by search of resource database based on product
   name, category, model number, and chipset.) Suggest a resource for
   this product

   # Resource Type Description
   0 Configuring an Ethernet Interface Linux HOWTO
   Walks through securing support for a NIC and establishing the eth
   interfac...
   1 DNS HOWTO Linux HOWTO
   How to become a totally 'small time' DNS admi...
   2 How to hook up PPP in Linux Linux HOWTO
   The key problem in hooking up a PPP link to an Internet Service
   Provider (ISP) is that the ISP's seem to compete with each other as to
   who can find another obscure way of authenticating users. Thus we have
   login, PAP, CHAP 05, CHAP80, CHAP80-lanman, CHAP81, ... and
   combinations of these. The chief difficulty of connecting to an ISP is
   discovering which technique is actually being used by the ISP in an
   orderly way. Since few of them know anything about Linux, and since
   few of them even understand what technique they actually use, this
   procedure should allow you to set up without their help, or to
   understand what their help means if it is given...
   3 Linux Ethernet HOWTO Linux HOWTO
   Information about which ethernet devices can be used for Linux, and
   how to set them up (focused on he hardware and low level driver aspect
   of the ethernet cards; see Network HOWTO for software configuration
   information)...
   4 Linux Hardware Compatibility HOWTO Linux HOWTO
   Lists most of the hardware supported by Linux and helps you locate any
   necessary drivers...
   5 Linux Networking HOWTO Linux HOWTO
   Information about networking for Linux (relates only to version 4 of
   the Linux Networking Kernel or more specifically kernel releases 2.x
   and 2.2.x)...
   6 Linux Networking HOWTO (Previously the Net-3 How... Linux HOWTO
   Describes how to install and configure the Linux networking software
   and associated tools...
   7 Linux PPP HOWTO Linux HOWTO
   How to connect your Linux PC to a PPP server, how to use PPP to link
   two LANs together; provides one method of setting up your Linux
   computer as a PPP server...
   8 The Linux Plug-and-Play HOWTO Linux HOWTO
   How to get your Linux system to support Plug-and-Play© ...
   9 Wireless LAN Resources for Linux Linux Specific Website
   A nice central clearinghouse of information about the various wireless
   networking cards available, how well they support standards and how
   well they work or don't work with Linu...

   User Reports
   Show: [_] Comments [_] Reviews [_] Workarounds Search

   1. No problems posted by dougm on 1999-05-19
   5.0
     Review: Never had a problem with Linux or any other OS... One of the
   higher end NICs out there.
   2. Decent enough card posted by meeko on 1999-07-06
   4.0
     Review: My TPO card worked perfectly for me right from the start, in
   both Win9x and Linux. I forget if I disabled PnP, but I don't think I
   did. It's CPU utilization is fairly high, but you expect that from an
   ISA card. It has no problems talking to m...(more)
   3. Untitled posted by js1 on 1999-07-09
   5.0
     Review: NULL
   4. A breeze in Linux posted by ilmari on 1999-08-15
   4.0
     Review: Windows 95 wouldn't even give it an IRQ, but in linux it was
   true plug and play! a pleasure!!
   5. Good card posted by djmcelroy on 2000-05-31
   4.0
     Review: Works great - easy to install. Unlike the 3c509b, there is
   no PNP feature to disable. You should be able to find these cards in
   the used bin for little money.
   6. Untitled posted by anonymous on 2000-06-17
     Comment: Works well. It's PnP even in Linux. I can't figure out how
   to force it to take a different base port/irq tho.
   7. Just works posted by alan on 2000-07-29
   5.0
     Review: It just works. Its the ideal ISA card
   8. Great for an ISA card posted by broberts on 2000-08-19
   4.0
     Review: Works for me. I don't like the lack of jumpers though. If
   you need to change the setup, grab 3c5x9utils.
   9. true classic posted by fuggles on 2000-12-04
   5.0
     Review: A true classic, these are cheap and wonderful.
   10. Untitled posted by SYKO on 2001-08-10
   0.0

   How would you rate this product?
                   0   1   2   3   4   5
       Stability: (_) (_) (_) (_) (_) (_)
     Performance: (_) (_) (_) (_) (_) (_)
           Value: (_) (_) (_) (_) (_) (_)
   Ease of Setup: (_) (_) (_) (_) (_) (_)
         Overall: (_) (_) (_) (_) (_) (_)
   Comments:

   Note: anonymous ratings are NOT recorded. Please login or register
   after you click submit. Submit

    Copyright © 2001, CNet Networks Inc. All rights reserved. ZDNet and
       the ZDNet logo are registered trademarks of CNet Networks, Inc
                Email questions or comments to lhd at zdnet.com

Gena

>Hi Alex,
>
>	You'll need to know the exact model of the card. I have an Etherlink II
I that is a 3C509b (not sure if the Etherlink III includes other models or not)
.

>	Go to the 3Com website and find the setup program for your card. You ha
ve to run this utility programin DOS (just boot froma floppy, then insert the d
iskette with the utility program on it and run it from the floppy). This progra
m lets you set IRQ and IOBase address. Set them and save them to the card. Then
 reboot Linux and set up the driver which you can compile into your kernel, or
load as a module. Specify the IRQ and IOBase as per the instructions for module
s (or on the lilo prompt if you compile the driver into the kernel).

>HTH,
>	--terry
>
>You wrote:
>
>-=> Hi.
>-=> I got an isa 3com eathernet card, Think it's an eatherlink3.  Ware can I g
et linux drivers for it?  The card was made around 1992 so I think there might
be something someware.