Ot scanning software, was Re: FW: USA: Online book-sharing service for the blind borrows a page from Napster

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Sat Mar 16 02:27:42 EST 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Amanda Lee wrote:

> Still, if one has made an investment in one of these fine products which
> are indeed designed for persons who are blind but also are way above
> standard in terms of how they produce translation from print to text, as
> long as that product is reliable and works well for the individual, ther
> is no need really to dump one for the other as they are comparable in
> quality.

I quite agree, each to his/her own.

For me, I use Omnipage, which came with my scanner.  Ok, it is not perfect
and I do not use it for heavy scanning, but it does a nice job on my mail,
some of which is hand-written and/or on coloured paper.  I'm using a
relatively old version, 9.0, but it work fine for me.
Btw, I only paid #60 GB (about $75) for my scanner.
I suspect it wouldn't scan books too well, though I am going to try it
because it may come in useful elsewhere for me.

Cheers.
Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808