FW: USA: Online book-sharing service for the blind borrows a page from Napster

Amanda Lee amanda at shellworld.net
Fri Mar 15 15:23:20 EST 2002

Actually, I am not saying this with predjudice so please don't think that
I am talking out of personal preference by making a statement which isn't
factual but I am making the following statement which is indeed a fact.

Open book relies upon an earlier version of Fineengine than does the
Kurzweil K1000 and this particular OCR Engine is slower than the more
current version.

I wouldn't be surprised that the next release of Open Book will offer the
latest version of Finengine.

I prefer K1000 for this reason and for other reasons I won't go into here
because this is indeed way off topic ha!

Still, if one has made an investment in one of these fine products which
are indeed designed for persons who are blind but also are way above
standard in terms of how they produce translation from print to text, as
long as that product is reliable and works well for the individual, ther
is no need really to dump one for the other as they are comparable in
quality.

Amanda Lee