FW: USA: Online book-sharing service for the blind borrows a page from Napster

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Fri Mar 15 17:17:34 EST 2002

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I have to write another HOWTO. Fortunately, this
one is pretty short! <grin>

Actually, I discovered this by necessity a few weeks ago. I had a book
from the library that I desparately wanted to read. So, having heard that
scanning wasn't accessible under linux except for that ocrshop thing that
I didn't want to spend $99 on just for one book, I rooted around in my old
CDR's for my trusty old OpenBook Ruby. I found and installed on my Win
system, and guess what, Windows wouldn't work anymore. Seems some kind of
conflict with the old OpenBook SAPI stuff against the newer ones in
Win-Eyes and JFW. Groan.

So, I go to linux and start reading. First, I do apropos ocr -- and of
course I find gocr. Then I do ocr scan and I find scanimage. Hmmm, says I,
let's do man scanimage, well, and would you believe there it was.

So, I created a temporary directory for myself, and studied the commands
for scanimage. I soon discovered I could put a switch onto my command line
that would give me time to turn the page in the book and reposition it on
the scanner. I forget what it is--but it's there. This let me push a
button on my scanner to scan the next page. So, I did that. Now, I had 600
files in this temp directory--one file per page of this book.

Next I ran them through gocr.

What can I say? I'm reading.

Is it as good as K1000 or the new OpenBook? I have no opinion. I wouldn't
know.

Does it have a friendly intuitive front end. Absolutely. The best!

<big grin>

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development