Computer Science

Amanda Lee amanda at shellworld.net
Fri Mar 15 00:17:37 EST 2002

Great as this is how Conputer Sciences should be taught but unfortuneately,
many well-known universities have cut corners.  I know that the foundation
of knowledge and skills you are receiving will serve you well.

I recently went to a presentation about a Masters Degree program in
Telecommunications Engineering  offered from George Washington University,
Washington, DC.

I cringed when the Department Chair who presented the particulars of this
Degree program said that for a program taught to Verizon, that they would
basically water down the math content.  I couldn't believe what I was
hearing as even so, some of the younger attendees started to groan about
college-level calculous and Statistics as being a
pre-requisite math requirement.  Good grief! and this indicates that the
non-engineering-based CS and IT programs have weakened.  I'm older than the
majority of these kids and I sure don't mind brushing up on Calculous and
Statistics as I was a good math student.  But these folks couldn't even
accept it that all one really needs to do is to obtain some Pschalms
Outlines, etc. and do some studying.

Amanda Lee