root filesystem

Igor Gueths igueths at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 16:08:18 EST 2002

Hi listers. I built a 2.4.17 kernel because this is what I happen to have, and rebooted the machine. It came up talking and it probed hardware successfully. However, it can't mount the root filesystem and it terminates with a kernel panic: fs: Unable to mount root filesystem. I checked system.map to make sure it said root=/dev/hda2 because this is my root partition, and it is also in lilo.conf as root=/dev/hda2. Here's basiclly what it looks like:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17
label=Kernel1
read-only
root=/dev/hda2
alias=1

It also says root=/dev/hda2 closer to the top of the lilo.conf. What could I be missing? I alias back to the kernel with 2, and it boots fine. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

Igor