Computer Science

jwantz at hpcc2.hpcc.noaa.gov jwantz at hpcc2.hpcc.noaa.gov
Thu Mar 14 09:08:39 EST 2002

Hi Chris,
I'm not going to get involved in the "bookshare wars', but since you were
chastizing others on this list because most people use WINDOWS and not
linux, I think its only fair to point out that your computer science
department is very nonstandard.  Though I am a meteorologist, not a
computer science person, I know many computer science students in the past
and the present.  Teaching WINDOWS programming is very nonstandard.  I
would guess that at least 90 percent of the schools teach programming on a
UNIX variant of some kind.  In the past thre was a fair amount of people
using VMS.  However, a lot of beginning C and C++ classes did use
Turbo/Borland.  WINDOWS programming is much more difficult than UNIX
programming, so I suppose you are to be congratulated for making it
through such a tough curriculum.

     Jim Wantz