sideways look! Was: USA: Online book-sharing service

Georgina gena at gena-j.net
Wed Mar 13 19:57:51 EST 2002

Hi

Although, this aspect is off topic, I thank those who have attempted to
clarify these matters.  But I do feel that there is an important issue
of us giving up control and just following the majority that we need to
consider.

The pricing is a very important one.  I as a student paid support
workers to scan and correct books and Jernal articles.  Because books
vary so much its difficult to find an average but the following costs
were quite common during the pas five years of my studies:

The book would cost twenty pounds.  A support worker would take six
hours being paid five pounds an hour to scan it.  If I was lucky, they'd
correct the majority of errors in ten hours at five pounds an hour.
Thus this twenty pound book has cost one hundred pounds to access.

Gena