Questions about programs under Linux.

Shaun Oliver shauno at goanna.net.au
Wed Mar 13 03:53:11 EST 2002

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Toby Fisher wrote:
SNIP

> Hmmm, if this is the case, why is there, in the latest release version of
> Lynx, a config entry for javascript support?  I'm sure I've been told that
> the Lynx development team are going to see if they can make use of the
> libjs engine.  In addition, there is a piece of software called w3m, which
> while not technically a web browser will display frames if you urgently
> need it, for example to get some facilities out of a web site which
> doesn't have a non-frames version.  It also has support for ssl and can,
> for your sighted friends, display inline graphics I believe.
> Also, I don't know of the situation over there, but over here the
> distributions cannot contain encription software due to U.S. export
> regulations, so it is possible that you may find your version of lynx does
> not support the https protocol and ssl transactions, needed for
> communication with secure sites, such as those used for online shopping.
> The only real way to check is to try it.

With reference to the configure script entry for java I don't think
that's supported just yet.
That's not to say that it won't be at a later date,
However, I belive one can download the source for openssl and compile it.
this is what I did for the release of lynx that I have on my system.
hth

Shaun Oliver

Marriage is a three ring circus:
engagement ring, wedding ring, and suffering.
                -- Roger Price

Email: shauno at goanna.net.au
Icq: 76958435