Security - could someone explain?

Johan Bergström johbe at linux.se
Tue Mar 12 19:49:41 EST 2002

Yes, there is a securityrisk with the zlib (compression library) bug. If
you run debian read http://security.debian.org and do what they tell you.
If you then run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y every day, you dont
need to worry much. All holes are fixed within a week, this special bug
took about a day to get fixed. The last ssh bug took about 12 hours until
there was a fix in debian for it. There are *lots* of bugs out there. If
you really want to protect yourself from evil blackhats, setup a firewall
and shut off every port you dont use, and shut down services you dont use
and read security howtos.

If you run any other dist than debian, you'll have to use their
update/upgrading tools, or upgrade manually which can be a heckofa job if
you have meny binaries statically linked against zlib.