Getting Speakup to work with Decktalk.

Ed Barnes ed.barnes at janus.northatlantic.nf.ca
Tue Mar 12 20:23:59 EST 2002

Hi Anna and list.
I am sorry if this offends however may I point out that I would think it
pretty irresponsible for anyone who is having somebody else setup their
Linux system who wants to use Speakup on that system to not bring the
synthesizer with them to the store for testing purposes at least.
Whether the techs at that store do anything with the synth plugged in other
than the install and the moment of truth, first boot, that's unimportant,
but I think you get my point.
I know that I am a relative newbie to Linux myself and as of yet I don't
have my machine's setup done, however; it's got more to do with the fact
that I've not taken an afternoon and sat down to do it do to school
commitments.
The two points are not directly related, however; as someone who has an
I.T. background and a very basic Linux knowledge, I am wondering by some of
the questions which Anna has posed if aside from answering them the members
should recommend some titles which she might find helpful in a sense that I
get a feeling that the theory behind some of the concepts you guys might be
discussing is not that well understood by Anna.
By books, I mean it as a broad term, I mean like a visit to
http://www.linuxdoc.org, or similar web sites which attempt to unravel the
mystry of Linux for those of us who want to be enlightened, I know I've
spent a good amount of time there over the past few months.

I am only saying this because I'd think that someone would know enough to
go on the cautious side and bring their synth to the pogo people rather
than not doing so, especially if they are unsure of basic things which have
been well-documented like the synth codes and what synth they have.
Again, I mean no offense by my message to Anna or the list as a group which
I myself have found quite helpful.

Regards to all.

Ed Barnes