FW: USA: Online book-sharing service for the blind borrows a page from Napster

Ann Parsons akp at eznet.net
Tue Mar 12 16:36:42 EST 2002

Hi Janina,

Well, I found that it was virtually impossible to get at the site
during the beta.  I found that the application was only a long, long,
long, long, long agreement with several check boxes, but there was no
place to add an address, a name of anything else!  I haven't been back
there because it says on the top of the page that "this site is for
users of MSIE5.5 or above."  I just didn't bother.  I figured that
there was nothing I could do.  My Windows computer has been down for
two months, and I want so much to download books and to join, but what
can I do?  I have some books here I've scanned that I might
conceivably want to upload there, but nobody deigned to say anything
to me.  I'm on the beta list.  Nobody bothered to talk to me at all,
find out *why* I was unhappy with the site, or what I was
experiencing.  In fact, they just about ignored me cuz I use Linux.
It was made very, very, very, very, very, very clear that I was just
chopped liver and so I haven't bothered to even try to access the site
in Lynx.  I figured that it would be virtually impossible, so I've
been waiting for my Windows machine to get fixed, and now I discover I
have to wait more time!

Janina, I hate Windows, but I want to join Bookshare`!  I want to
download books!  It won't do me any good to go there anyway in Lynx
cuz the unpack tool is for Windows, or didn't you realize that?  Sure
they're looking for somebody to write their program for Linux because
they've finally awakened to the fact that maybe somebody ought to pay
attention to another OS.  But what's the good of writing an unpack
tool for Linux when the site is "only for MSIE5.5 or above"?  I mean
if you're going to be *that* exclusive, what's the good, Janina?  What
about people who only have MSIE4 or Netscape or PW-Webspeak or IBM web
reader?  What about those peopoe, huh?  Do they know how snooty and
exclusive that phrase sounds?  Do they realize how it looks?  Haven't
we had enough of being shut out?

If my Windows machine isn't up yet, and if I only have Linux, then
downloading an unpack tool for Windows isn't going to do me a hoot in
Hell.  Maybe that's why everybody has been ignoring me, eh?  I'm
sorry, Janina, but you asked me, and I'm telling you.  I feel shut
out, ignored, and thrown away.  The site is for "MSIE5.5 or later", it
says so right on the page, damn it!!!  It's supposed to be for the
blind.  It's supposed to be so that we can access books!  It's
supposed to be a tool to help us, and it's just another fanthom,
supposedly accessible but only if you have the right equipment.
<sigh>  What about people who use W3, what about them?  What about
people who have shell accounts, there are some, you know.  They're
limited to Lynx.  I'm sorry, Janina, but I'm disgusted and feeling
angry and really quite upset.  I didn't realize how upset I was till
you asked me how I was doing.

Ann P.

--
			Ann K. Parsons