WinBind in a new version of Samba

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon Mar 11 09:02:21 EST 2002

The doc for winbind is included in the samba doc directory under /usr/doc.
It's a daemon you must launch independently of samba. It's called winbindd
-- with two d's in the name.

Read the doc carefully. You will have to be root on the linux machine and
admin on the Win machine to make winbind work properly.

Having said this, let me ask you to consider whether you actually need
winbind. It's purpolse is to provide user authentication from the Win
authenticator, while offering user services on the samba/linux side. Is
that what you need to do?

I ask, because this confused me a few weeks ago while I was building my
connectivity to AFB's new NT server. It turns out I don't need winbind or
samba. I just need smbclient and smbmount--not the same as samba or
winbind.