samba misbehaving again

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Mon Mar 11 02:55:58 EST 2002

If your machine is multi-homed i.e. has more than one interface,
tell samba which interfaces to listen on in the [global] section
of the configuration file like this:
interfaces=192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
Note that you specify the ip address of the interface and the netmask not the network address
and netmask. If a ppp or other link goes up or down whilst
samba is running it can have trouble figuring out what interfaces it should be listening on.
Also, you should set
wins support=yes
and point all other samba machines and windows machines at the 1 (one) wins
server. This eliminates problems with broadcast trafic not
crossing subnet boundaries and greatly enhances name resolution.

Regards, Kerry.