samba misbehaving again

Gregory Nowak gnowak1 at uic.edu
Sun Mar 10 23:13:32 EST 2002

Hi everyone,

I've got samba troubles again. I swear that I didn't modify anything on this machine. If I did, I can't remember doing it, and I'm not sure what's going on. I checked inetd.conf, the samba logs, hosts.deny, hosts.allow, and of course smb.conf, but everything is as it should be. When I try to connect to my main samba machine with windblows, th main samba machine is not in the list of machines. When I use smbmount from another linux box, I get something like:

x protocal negotiation failed. smb connection failed.

In this case, x is 116, 118, 120, 122, or 124. The strange thing is that there is nothing in the samba logs. However, when I do:

smbmount //localhost/storage /mnt

on the main samba machine, I get asked for the password, and the directory is mounted. Any ideas on what the problem is? Thanks in advance.
Greg