Questions about programs under Linux.

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sun Mar 10 19:22:14 EST 2002

Ann:

Good post. And, I certainly have no quarrel with your experience.

I do want to point out, however, that there are many of us who use emacs
very profitably with speakup. I recognize, for my part, that this sounds
incredible to many with deep emacspeak experience, but it is nevertheless
true. Given this fact, you haven't really contrasted the two, imho.

Furthermore, using speakup by no means limits one to OS access alone.
That's just simply untrue. In fact, the truth of the matter is that
speakup facilitates access to many more applications than emacspeak,
because it doesn't require someone to sit down and write a special
interface for each and every application, as Raman does when he
"speechifies" (his word, not mine) some app that runs in the emacs
environment.

No, I think if you're going to make an argument here, you're necessarily
going to find it reduced to claims of superior access to particular
functions. For my part, I don't buy that either. I don't find one or the
other superior, just different. And that's A-OK by me.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

Chair, Accessibility SIG