Questions about programs under Linux.

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sun Mar 10 17:26:58 EST 2002

I have no objection to your opinion. But, an opinion isn't a theory. Nor
does it warrant telling a new user "maybe you should ..."

Have I used emacs with speakup. Of course. Often. It's not the same as
emacspeak, but many things work very very well. Some things, like
calendar, are splendid in emacspeak and tortuous with speakup. But, that's
an exception, not the rule.

Why am I so steamed. Because you didn't have a reason, and reasons are
most certainly called for when you start telling new users what to do. As
it happens, emacspeak has a pretty steep learning curve, and there's
precious little support when users don't remember what to do. And, there's
no support for the boot process itself. All this stands to reason, of
course, because emacspeak isn't a screen reader, as Raman plainly says in
the Emacspeak FAQ.

On the other hand, speakup is a screen reader. It chatters verbosely from
a very early point. It is forgiving because all the information on screen
is available to be purused over and over, ad nauseum. The instructions for
using speakup will fit on one page, and that's just a lot easier for
someone new to pick up. Learning linux well enough to do some basics can
be enough of a chore on its own.

I just think the options, and the conbcombitant requisites should be laid
out clearly and honestly.

So, please, you're welcome to your opinions. That is your perogative. But,
if you take on the guise of an experienced user telling a new user what
they should consider doing, have the good grace to explain why and what's
involved. I think expecting you to justify your advice is very reasonable.
And, if you don't want to do that, what's the point of expressing an
opinion. We're not taking a poll last I looked.