PDF Explained

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sat Mar 9 14:13:44 EST 2002

PDF is a proprietary postscript implementation. That means that its roots
are in printing. It's great for that. It's a way of sending relatively
small files across the net that print on almost any printer on almost any
kind of computer and almost always come out looking the same. Really cool
for people who are into printing and reading paper.
Of course, Adobe, the company that sells PDF tools has been a very smart
marketer. For example, it sells its scanning software to Federal agencies
as a way for them to get all their paper files into computer files that
can be published online. An agency like the Federal Communications
Commission gets a lot of paper that they want to publish on the net. So,
they use Adobe's scanning software to scan all that paper into pdf files
that they post on the web. If you ever look at an OCR rendition of some of
these documents, you can quickly discern how poorly this translates into
text that we, as blind users, need in order to read these documents. But,
it prints looking about the same as the paper the FCC got in the mail.