Installing Speakup separate from Linux.

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon Mar 4 20:50:53 EST 2002

Anna:

I'm not sure who you're responding to, because you didn't retain any of
the message you're responding to. Since several of us wrote you, including
me, I'm taking the liberty to say that this message below is not correct,
from the perspective of my earlier note today. There's no reason to patch
a kernel tree and compile a new kernel in order to get speakup into a Red
Hat 7.2 installation. Red Hat has something called the Red Hat Package
Manager, rpm for short, that will be very familiar to the Pogo people.
It's a simple way of swapping a new kernel, one that has speakup in it,
into your installation.

The difference between the rpm approach and compiling a new kernel is
major. Using rpm, the Pogo people can have you up to speed in a matter of
minutes. Doing the kernel route is at least an hour for an experienced
person, and many many hours for someone doing it for the first time.