Installing Speakup separate from Linux.

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon Mar 4 10:55:03 EST 2002

Anna:

If your dealer installs Red Hat 7.2 for you, adding speakup will be very
simple. They can even do it for you, probably. Here's what to do:

Go to http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/redhat/current/RPMS

and get both the ConsoleTools rpm and the appropriate kernel rpm for your
cpu. Install as usual with rpms, and add an appropriate append = entry in
/etc/lilo.conf -- appropriate for your synth, e.g.
append="speakup_synth=dtlk" if you have an internal Doubletalk.

If I've missed a piece here, I'm sure Bill Acker will clear it up. This
process will be the subject of a short HOWTO soon, but it isn't done yet.

PSS: Be sure the Pogo folks install all the character based applications
you're going to need. In other words, if they install Red Hat 7.2, and
select the workstation class installation, things like lynx will be
missing. Server is actually a better installation class choice, imho, and
the best, imho, is Custom with all packages selected.