Accessible Java development tools

jwantz at hpcc2.hpcc.noaa.gov jwantz at hpcc2.hpcc.noaa.gov
Mon Mar 4 10:41:33 EST 2002

Hi Everyboddy,
I'm sorry if someone has answered this already.  Personally  I don't like
the jdk very much because of the difficulty of installation.  I use
instead gcj the gnu java compiler.  It will compile in code native to the
machine you are running on, or write java class bytecodes that
theoretically anybody from any machine can execute.  This all runs fine
and is perfectly accessible.

However, I'm not aware of any way to execute java applets in a web page
that will make them accessible.  This is because as far as I know the only
web browser under Linux that supports java is Netscrape.  That runs under
X.
Also, GNU Java hasn't implemented the AWT toolkit yet.  Presumably that'll
run under X as well.

     Jim