Installing Speakup separate from Linux.

Anna Schneider annas at drizzle.com
Mon Mar 4 02:56:45 EST 2002

Okay, so the place i'm buying my computer from will install a GPL version
of Red Hat which I like because they will test it with the CD Writer and
the video and sound cards, and their version includes a driver for the HP
1200 laser jet which I can have regardless of whether or not I buy the
printer from them.  So I'm going to have to install Speak Up later on my
own.

Now, if I just want to install Speak Up without a distribution, do I use
the tar.gc file of it and follow the instruction under installation?  This
was in the index of various readme and key map files on the Speakup web
page.

And when I talk to the people at Pogo Linux, would I want to make sure
that they choose the installation options for their version of Red Hat
that the Speakup how to recommends, such as choosing lilo and the custom
installation and text of course and so on.  I've got it all written down.
I'm assuming that this will make less trouble for me later?

I will need help installing Speakup if I go this route, correct?

And lastly, how do I know which sireal port gets which designation?

Thanks much.  I'm ordering my computer tomorrow. Very very excited.

Anna