still having problem with telneting to rainmaker.wunderground.com

Gregory Nowak gnowak1 at uic.edu
Sun Mar 3 14:50:02 EST 2002

Hi all,

I'm starting to really wonder if I'm doing something wrong, since everyone claims that they don't have this problem. I can telnet to rainmaker.wunderground.com (so whatever short term problem I had yesterday was temporary). But, I still can't access weather information through it. I'm including a script below of my attempts to do so.

Script started on Sun Mar  3 13:41:22 2002
gnowak1 at linserver:~$ telnet rainmaker.wunderground.com
Trying 66.28.69.161...
Connected to blackbird.wunderground.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

(null)

Press Return to continue:

Press Return for menu
or enter 3 letter forecast city code--

                 WEATHER UNDERGROUND MAIN MENU
                ******************************
                 1) U.S. forecasts and climate data
                 2) Canadian forecasts
                 3) Current weather observations
                 4) Ski conditions
                 5) Long-range forecasts
                 6) Latest earthquake reports
                 7) Severe weather
                 8) Hurricane advisories
                 9) Weather summary for the past month
                10) International data
                11) Marine forecasts and observations
                12) Ultraviolet light forecast
                 X) Exit program
                 C) Change scrolling to screen
                 H) Help and information for new users
                 ?) Answers to all your questions
                   Selection:c

                OPTION TO CHANGE SCROLLING TO SCREEN

                Select the number of lines printed to screen at one time:
                1) 24 lines (default)
                2) 48 lines
                3) 60 lines
                4) Unlimited
                5) 12 lines

                   Selection:4

                 WEATHER UNDERGROUND MAIN MENU
                ******************************
                 1) U.S. forecasts and climate data
                 2) Canadian forecasts
                 3) Current weather observations
                 4) Ski conditions
                 5) Long-range forecasts
                 6) Latest earthquake reports
                 7) Severe weather
                 8) Hurricane advisories
                 9) Weather summary for the past month
                10) International data
                11) Marine forecasts and observations
                12) Ultraviolet light forecast
                 X) Exit program
                 C) Change scrolling to screen
                 H) Help and information for new users
                 ?) Answers to all your questions
                   Selection:1

                         CITY FORECAST MENU
                1) Print forecast for selected city
                2) Print climatic data for selected city
                3) Display 3-letter city codes for a selected state
                4) Display all 2-letter state codes
                M) Return to main menu
                X) Exit program
                ?) Help
                   Selection:1

          Enter 3-letter city code: chi

     No data available.

                         CITY FORECAST MENU
                1) Print forecast for selected city
                2) Print climatic data for selected city
                3) Display 3-letter city codes for a selected state
                4) Display all 2-letter state codes
                M) Return to main menu
                X) Exit program
                ?) Help
                   Selection:4

     No data available.

                         CITY FORECAST MENU
                1) Print forecast for selected city
                2) Print climatic data for selected city
                3) Display 3-letter city codes for a selected state
                4) Display all 2-letter state codes
                M) Return to main menu
                X) Exit program
                ?) Help
                   Selection:3

          Enter 2-letter state code: il

Network is down. Try again later.
il

Connection closed by foreign host.
gnowak1 at linserver:~$ exit
Script done on Sun Mar  3 13:43:04 2002

Is really no one else having this problem? If the answer to that question is that no one does, then is there something I'm doing wrong?
Greg