Speakup installation on lap top.

Thomas Ward tward at bright.net
Sun Mar 3 03:16:09 EST 2002

Hi, well, in general Linux should do well on a laptop, but some laptops are
a real pain to get going with Linux.

Some problems you may incounter is no serial ports on newer laptops. The USB
port is all many of them have, and the Belkin USB to serial cable is needed.
If you have a serial port your set synth wize.
Second, most modems in laptops will not work with Linux. I've played around
with lots of Linux's, and every laptop I've tried I couldn't get the pos Win
modem going ieven with the Win modem drivers floating around on the net. As
a last result I simply put a modem in the pcmcia slot, and fixed it once and
for all.
Since laptops do not have a number pad invest in a usb or ps2 number pad to
use for Speakup review commands.