Speakup installation on lap top.

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sat Mar 2 18:59:23 EST 2002

Hi, Tommy:

As to whether there are pitfalls, certainly. But which would depend on
what make and model unit you have and on how you need to use it. My
portable is an 18 month old IBM Thinkpad T20. The primary pitfall on this
machine is the fact that it's 9-pin serial port is turned off, by default.
The second pitfall relates to its video system which is tricky to
configure for X--not that we really need X just yet. Beyond that, I have
several boot options configured in my lilo.conf that I can call up by
single-letter aliases depending on what is (or is not attached) by way of
a speech synthesizer at any particular time. I also use several scripts to
switch network configurations, depending on where I am. Ditto for the
modem.

As for presentations, I haven't worked that out myself. I do understand,
however, that latex does good looking slides.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

Chair, Accessibility SIG